Chappaqua Challenge FAQ's
2019 Chappaqua Challenge is FULL
WHAT IS IT?
It’s a fun, low-key reading program for kids who want to read some great books with their friends! It’s sponsored by The Friends of the Library and Scattered Books.
WHEN IS IT?
The Challenge will be on SATURDAY, MARCH 23, 2019 at 2 P.M.
WHEN SHOULD I REGISTER?
Register from November 19 until December 29 or until all 12 team spots are filled.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- 4th-6th graders form teams of 3-4 people and take a few months to read from a list of 12 books.
- Any NEW Challenger must attend ONE brief meeting, on Sat. 12/8 at 2pm, Thurs. 12/13 at 6:30 pm, or Tues. 12/18 at 4. Grownups are welcome. Please register for a meeting online (www.chappaqualibrary.org), in person or by phone. If you absolutely can’t make a meeting, we can have a chat.
- Team members can divvy up the books any way they like; we recommend that each book be read by two people.
- In February each team will write 11 questions about one of the books, randomly chosen by the library.
- On the day of the Challenge in March (location TBD,) the teams will quiz each other.
- There is NO AUDIENCE, we don’t keep score, and no one wins or loses. All the teams quiz each other at once, and will try to answer one question about each book.
- Each participant will earn a gift certificate to Scattered Books, and then we party!
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
- Form a team of 3 or 4 people, and choose a name for your team.
- Choose one adult as the contact person with the library, who will be responsible for sharing any messages (usually email) between the library and the rest of the team.
- Fill out one registration form per team at the library, including the Team Name.
- Each team member must turn in a signed permission slip. They can be turned in together or separately.
- Registration is complete once we have a registration form AND all permission slips.
- Then a librarian will put you on the team poster, and that’s it!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE TWO OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT WITH ME?
Let us know you are interested—sometimes other teams need another member.
WILL I NEED TO READ ALL 12 BOOKS?
Some people do, if they want to and have the time. Most people divide up the list with the rest of their team, and read between 6-12 books.
WHAT ARE THE BOOKS THIS YEAR?
|Applegate||The One & Only Ivan||ABCDHPR|
|Brallier||The Last Kids on Earth||ABCD|
|Jamieson (GN)||Roller Girl||AB|
|Montgomery (GN)||Anne of Green Gables||B|
|Nielsen-Fernlund||Dear George Clooney, Please Marry My Mother||B|
|Peet (B)||Bill Peet: An Autobiography|
The Challenge books are kept on a cart by the Children’s Room desk. If we run out, you can get them from another library within a few days. Speak to a children's librarian, or click here to see the list with links to the online catalog. You’ll see the various media versions there, too: ebook, downloadable audio, CD, large print, etc. You can put any of them on hold.
If you’re looking for ebooks or downloadable audiobooks, be sure to log in to the catalog with a Chappaqua Library card before searching, to access any extra digital copies. Log in with your library card number (starting with “21005...”) and PIN (typically the last 4 digits of your phone number).
*In addition to print versions, many titles also come in audio, digital audio and e-book formats. Formats listed below in bold require an app. There are videos on our website to walk you through that process, at the top of the eLibrary page. Not all of them will appear in the online catalog.
|A=Overdrive/Libby e-Audio||D=Disc (from other libraries)||P=Playway (from other libraries)|
|B=Overdrive/Libbey e-Book||GN=Graphic Novel||R=RB Digital e-Audio|
|C=Cloud Library e-Book||H=Hoopla e-Audio|
HOW LONG WILL THE CHALLLENGE TAKE?
The Challenge itself takes 1-1 ½ hours, if everyone is on time. That includes doing all the questions and having the party.
I SIGNED UP—NOW WHAT?
Talk to your teammates about who’s reading which books. Start reading as soon as you sign up; depending on when you start, you have 12-16 weeks to read the books.
WHAT ABOUT WRITING THE QUESTIONS?
- In mid-February, the library will randomly assign your team a book, and will tell your contact person what book it is.
- Team members will write 11 questions (total, not per member) about that book.
- You will be asked to turn in the questions the day before the Challenge. Email is fine.
- Questions should be factual, based on details actually mentioned in the books.
- Some teams like to get together to write the questions. You don’t need to study!
WE SIGNED UP; NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM.
If the members of your team change, or some (or all) of you change your minds or have a conflict, please let the library know as soon as possible. There may be someone waiting for a chance to take part.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!
- Call 238-4779, x3.