Chappaqua Challenge FAQ's
WHAT IS IT?
It’s a fun, low-key reading program for kids who want to read some great books with their friends!
WHEN IS IT?
The Challenge will be on SATURDAY, MARCH 25, 2017 at 2 P.M.
WHEN SHOULD I REGISTER?
Register from November 22 until December 30 or until all 12 team spots are filled.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- 4th-6th graders form teams of 3-4 people and take a few months to read from a list of 12 books.
- NEW! Each team member must attend ONE challenge meeting, Tuesday Dec. 6 at 4 pm,Thursday Dec. 8 at 7 pm, or Sat. Dec. 10 at 2 pm. It will be brief; parental attendance is optional. Please register for a meeting online, in person or by phone. If you absolutely can’t make a meeting, we can have a phone consultation.
- Team members can divvy up the books any way they like; we recommend that each book be read by two people.
- In February each team will write 11 questions about one of the books, randomly chosen by the library.
- On the day of the Challenge in March, the teams will quiz each other.
- There is NO AUDIENCE, we don’t keep score, and no one wins or loses. All the teams quiz each other at once, and will try to answer one question about each book.
- Each participant will earn a gift certificate to Scattered Books, and then we party!
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
- Form a team of 3 or 4 people, and choose a name for your team.
- Choose one member as the contact person with the library, who will be responsible for sharing any messages (usually email) between the library and the rest of the team.
- Fill out one registration form per team at the library, including the Team Name.
- Each team member must turn in a signed permission slip. The contact person can bring them all in, or each member can bring or fax it — (914)238-3597.
- Registration is complete once we have a registration form AND all permission slips.
- Then a librarian will put you on the team poster, and that’s it!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE TWO OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT WITH ME?
Let us know you are interested—sometimes other teams need another member.
WILL I NEED TO READ ALL 12 BOOKS?
Some people do, if they want to and have the time. Most people divide up the list with the rest of their team, and read between 6-12 books.
WHAT ARE THE BOOKS THIS YEAR?
|Johnson-Shelton||The Invisible Tower|
|Juster||The Phantom Tollbooth|
|Paulsen (B)||My Life in Dog Years|
|Rodkey||The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other)|
|Smith||Out From Boneville|
|Vrabel||A Pack of Dorks|
|Williams-Garcia||One Crazy Summer|
The Challenge books are kept on a cart by the Children’s Room office. If we run out, you can get it from another library within a few days. Speak to a children's librarian, or click here to see the list with links to the online catalog. You’ll see the various media versions there, too: e-book, e-audio, CD, large print, etc. You can put any of them on hold.
If you’re looking for ebooks or downloadable audiobooks, be sure to log in to OverDrive with a Chappaqua Library card before searching, to access any extra digital copies. You can access OverDrive here; choose Overdrive under “eBooks”. Log in with your library card number (starting with “21005…”) and PIN (typically the last 4 digits of your phone number).
HOW LONG WILL THE CHALLLENGE TAKE?
The Challenge itself takes 1-1 ½ hours, if everyone is on time. That includes doing all the questions and having the party.
I SIGNED UP—NOW WHAT?
Talk to your teammates about who’s reading which books. Start reading as soon as you sign up; depending on when you start, you have 12-16 weeks to read the books.
WHAT ABOUT WRITING THE QUESTIONS?
- In mid-February, the library will randomly assign your team a book, and will tell your contact person what book it is.
- Team members will write 11 questions (total, not per member) about that book.
- You will be asked to turn in the questions the day before the Challenge. Email is fine.
- Questions should be factual, based on details actually mentioned in the books.
- Some teams like to get together to write the questions. You don’t need to study!
WE SIGNED UP; NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM.
If the members of your team change, or some (or all) of you change your minds or have a conflict, please let the library know as soon as possible. There may be someone waiting for a chance to take part.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!
- Call 238-4779, x3.