Chappaqua Challenge FAQ's
WHAT IS IT?
It’s a fun, low-key reading program for kids who want to read some great books with their friends! It’s sponsored by The Friends of the Library and Scattered Books.
WHEN IS IT?
The Challenge will be on SATURDAY, JUNE 5th, 2021 at 2 P.M.
WHEN SHOULD I REGISTER?
Registration runs from March 9 until April 9, or until all 12 team spots are filled.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- 4th-6th graders form teams of 2-4 people and take a few months to read from a list of 12
- All Challengers must attend ONE brief Zoom meeting--see dates below. Grownups are welcome.
- Kids read from a list of 12 books over the next three months. Team members can divvy up the books any way they like.
- In May each team will write up to 11 questions about one of the books, randomly chosen by the library, so you’ll have time to read that book if you haven’t already.
- On the day of the Challenge in June, the teams will quiz each other via Zoom.
- There is NO AUDIENCE, we don’t keep score, and no one wins or loses. All the teams quiz each other in Breakout Rooms, and will try to answer one question about each book. If you haven’t read it or don’t know, make up a silly guess!
- Each participant will earn a gift certificate to Scattered Books and a local snack shop, and then?? Grab and go picnic? Zoom dance party?--TBD!
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
- Register for and attend a Zoom informational meeting on Sat. 3/13 at 2pm, Tues. 3/16 at 6:30, OR Wed 3/17 at 4pm; possibly more as needed. Here's the link to register; you don’t have to attend as a team.
- Form a team of 2, 3 or 4 people, and choose a name for your team.
- Find a grownup (usually a parent) to be your contact person for the library.
- Contact person submits a Google Form Registration for the actual Challenge for the whole team (link shared after meeting.)
WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT WITH ME?
Let us know you are interested—sometimes other teams need another member.
WILL I NEED TO READ ALL 12 BOOKS?
Some people do, if they want to and have the time. Most people divide up the list with the rest of their team, and read between 6-12 books.
WHAT ARE THE BOOKS THIS YEAR?
|Applegate||One and Only Ivan|
|Cleary||Ramona and her Father|
|Glaser||Vanderbeekers of 141st Street|
|Ibbotson||The Secret of Platform 13|
|Jameson (GN)||When Stars Are Scattered|
|Lê (GN)||Green Lantern: Legacy|
|Meriano||Dash of Trouble|
|Smith, C||Aliens on Vacation!|
|Smith, R||Black Panther (Young Prince)|
|Williams-Garcia||One Crazy Summer|
The library owns multiple copies of the books, or will soon. If we run out, you can get them from another library within a few days. Speak to a children's librarian, or click here to see the list with links to the online catalog to place holds to see the list with links to the online catalog to place holds. You’ll see other physical versions there, too: audio CD, Playaway, large print, etc.
In addition to physical editions, all titles also come in digital audio and/or e-book formats. If you click on the link above, you can search for digital versions by clicking “hoopla” or “OverDrive” at the top right of the page--you’ll have to search separately, since not all books are on both platforms. You’ll need to log in with your library card and PIN, usually the last four numbers of your phone. And here’s a list of ALL the editions: https://bit.ly/3rDtpS6
HOW LONG WILL THE CHALLLENGE TAKE?
The Challenge itself should take 60-90 minutes, if everyone is on time.
I SIGNED UP—NOW WHAT?
Talk to your teammates about who will read which books. Start reading as soon as you sign up; depending on when you start, you have around 12 weeks to read.
WHAT ABOUT WRITING THE QUESTIONS?
- In mid-May, the library will randomly assign your team a book, and let you know, so you’ll have time to read it if you haven’t already.
- Team members will write up to 11 factual questions (total) about that book.
- You will turn in the questions by the day before the Challenge. Email is fine.
- Questions should be factual, based on details actually mentioned in the books.
- Some teams like to get together to write the questions. You don’t need to study!
WE SIGNED UP; NOW WE HAVE A PROBLEM.
If the members of your team change, or some (or all) of you change your minds or have a conflict, please let the library know as soon as possible. There may be someone waiting for a chance to take part.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!
- Call 238-4779, x3.
Please support them.